Child Abuse Compensation Claims

Child Abuse Compensation Claims

You might be a parent who has recently discovered your child has been abused – sexually or physically. You might be an adult and have only recently been able to talk about the abuse that happened to you in your childhood. Making a compensation claim could be the first step towards seeking justice, and give you or your child the support to cope with the resulting psychological trauma.

Contact our no-win no-fee abuse solicitors today for advice on how to make a compensation claim for the harm that you have sustained. Call us today on 0333 123 9099, email or fill in our online form.


Make a confidential enquiry

Please enter your name
Please enter your email address
Please enter your telephone number
Please select the nature of your enquiry
This is used to ensure your enquiry is dealt with as effectively as possible
Please enter the verification code

We’ll only use this information to handle your enquiry and we won’t share it with any third parties. For more details see our Privacy Policy

Empowering abuse survivors

Claiming compensation for abuse is not only empowering, it offers a springboard for healing by:

  • Bringing the abuser to justice;
  • Protecting other potential victims from abuse;
  • Encouraging other victims of abuse to come forward;
  • Securing financial compensation to pay for medical and psychological help needed beyond what the NHS can provide;
  • Opening up access to mental health support for depression, anxiety, PTSD, psychosis, addictions, personality disorders, anger management or other issues that result from abuse, and which survivors can struggle with for years;PTSD, psychosis, addictions, personality disorders, anger management or other issues that result from abuse, and which survivors can struggle with for years;
  • Funding specialist emotional and out-reach support, for example, from specialists in cultural and religious issues,  self-esteem and trust issues, social anxiety, relationship issues, addictions and substance abuse;
  • In some cases, compensation for loss of earnings is available.

Can I claim compensation?

If you were abused by someone who was in a position of trust, such as a parent, carer, teacher, community worker or professional, you could have a claim.

Child abuse is not always sexual. At IBB Claims, we have helped survivors to bring challenging child abuse claims involving:

  • Sexual abuse: Rape, indecent assault, undesired sexual behaviour, being forced to perform sexual acts, and being photographed;
  • Physical abuse: Physical injuries or punishments, being restrained;
  • Psychological abuse: Fear of injury, emotional trauma associated with threatening behaviour, intimidation, insulting or humiliating behaviour;
  • Neglect: Failure to protect from harm, failure to provide adequate food, water, heating, housing or access to medical care.

Our child abuse solicitors will guide you step-by-step through the claims process. If you’d like a confidential chat to find out what is involved, contact us today to arrange a free, no-obligation consultation.

Who do I claim against in a child abuse case?

You can claim against your abuser, or if they are no longer living, from their estate. Alternatively, you could claim from the organisation that employed them.

An abuser could be a parent, relative, foster parent, teacher, minister, or other person. Organisations could include:

I’ve heard I can claim through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. How does this work?

You may also be able to make a claim via the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). This is a government scheme that makes payments to blameless victims of violent crime.  It is worth exploring this option if your abuser is unlikely to be able to pay you compensation, either because they do not have the funds, or they are not insured for causing you the injury. There are a number of conditions for making a CICA claim, and our legal experts on abuse and compensation can give you advice on whether you qualify.

I’m an adult and I was abused in childhood. Isn’t it too late to make a claim?

There are time limits for bringing claims for compensation, which normally run from the time that the harm was caused. However, in child abuse cases, the courts understand that it can be years before survivors can acknowledge or talk about abuse, so they are given more time to start a claim. That time is not open-ended, so it is important you contact a solicitor as soon as possible to find out more about bringing a compensation claim.

I’ve started a claim but I’m not happy with how my case is being handled. Can I change my lawyer?

Child abuse claims can be complex, so it is important to choose a solicitor who specialises in this area. IBB Claims child abuse lawyers are recommended members of the Association of Child Abuse Lawyers (ACAL) and you can be sure that you will find us compassionate, professional and sensitive.

If you are concerned that your current solicitor is not a specialist in child abuse compensation claims or you feel that you are not receiving a good level of service, you can change your lawyer. Contact our abuse lawyers today to find out more.

Where to start if you have been abused, or are representing an abused child

If you were abused in childhood or are representing a child victim, and want to find out more about making a claim, this is what will happen next:

  • Once you have contacted a specialist child abuse solicitor, they will invite you to an initial consultation to talk about your case. An experienced solicitor will not ask you for specific details of the abuse at this stage.
  • Your solicitor will recommend that you report the abuse to the police, which will play an important part in the success of your compensation claim.
  • Your solicitor will also suggest that you talk to your GP to help you access the support that the NHS can provide. You will need this, as it is likely to be painful to discuss your abuse, and you are likely to be suffering from the effects of it.
  • You should compile a file containing records and dates of the abuse, including names and details of the individual and the organisation that employed them (if relevant). Your solicitor will carry out further detailed investigation and background research. It is important that you do not contact other alleged victims, as this could adversely affect the outcome of the claim.
  • Child abuse claims – especially historic ones – need expert investigation and preparation.  An experienced child abuse solicitor will take the time to research and prepare your case to give your compensation claim the best chance of success. This – and the court process itself – will take time, so you will need to keep a long-term perspective.
  • You should surround yourself with a supportive network of friends, family members and medical and mental health resources to provide encouragement and keep you strong when the going gets tough. Bringing a claim against an abuser requires strength and courage, and it can be stressful. A good support network can help you through the process.

How to make a child abuse compensation claim

If you want to enquire about making a child abuse claim, please contact our child abuse solicitors on 0333 123 9099. Alternatively, please email us at or complete our online form.

  • Malcolm Underhill
      • 01895 207972
      • View profile
  • Simon Pimlott
      • 01895 207236
      • View profile
  • Jacqueline Almond
      • View profile
  • Salima Mawji
      • View profile
  • Justin Govier
      • View profile
  • Caroline Dunne
      • View profile
  • Celia Whittuck
      • View profile
  • Neelam Chauhan
      • 01895 207240
      • View profile
  • Nerys Dadey
      • 01494 790041
      • View profile
  • Rachel Green
      • 01895 207230
      • View profile
Meet the team
  • No WinNo Fee
  • FREE initial consultation
  • Help with rehabilitation